NEW South Wales Police have charged a man after a fire damaged a house in Dareton.

Emergency services were called to a home on Devenport Street, Dareton, at about 12.30am on today (Tuesday, December 19) after reports of a house fire.

A 45-year-old man and 48-year-old wheelchair-bound woman were inside the premises at the time.

The man allegedly started the fire with a cigarette lighter before leaving the premises. He later returned to the house and removed the woman from the blaze.

Three people were treated by NSW/VIC Ambulance paramedics for smoke inhalation.

A crime scene has been established which will be examined by forensic specialists.

The man has been charged with malicious damage by fire and intimidation. He was refused bail and is due to appear at Wentworth Local Court today (Tuesday, December 19). An Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) was also granted.