COVID-19 restrictions have delayed the intended start of the Football Federation Sunraysia (FFS) Senior S-League season.

Competition was initially scheduled to begin on Sunday, however changes from the Victorian Government have pushed back any potential start date.

Juniors and sub-juniors have begun in recent weeks and will continue for the foreseeable future.

FFS general manager, Susan Watts, said the fact seniors have had to return to non-contact training, as per Football federation Victoria (FFV) directives, has delayed the start of the season.

“I think clubs are still training but they’re obviously limited in what they can do,” she said. “They did indicate they would like at least two weeks of contact training before getting back into matches.

“At this point I’d say the earliest we could start would be two weeks from this weekend.

“We will see how far into August we’ll have to wait, and if it’s late August by the time we can play we’ll have to put it back to the seniors and see what they want to do.

“For now we’ll keep going with the juniors. Everything has gone pretty well so far and we’re enjoying the fact we can give them  some form of sport to play in theis current climate.”

Mildura United president, Phil Cochrane, said of the matter: “It is disappointing considering we are so far away from any real threat of COVID-19, but at the same time, we need to do our part in stamping out the virus.”