SEAMUS Keogh, PICTURED, recently received an email from Graham Manou, Cricket Australia Head of National Development, advising him he had been selected for the ICC Under 19 Men’s Cricket World Cup squad.

Not long after that he received another call from Manou, letting him know he had been chosen to travel to Adelaide for practice matches.

Now, he’s one of 37 players hoping for a position in the team that will compete in the West Indies early next year.

Keogh was born in Mildura.

He moved to Bendigo for eight years before returning to his hometown and then just recently relocating to Melbourne.

The 18-year-old first picked up a cricket ball and bat around 10 years ago after a friend’s Dad convinced him to give it a go.

Keogh, who played for Mildura Settlers, said he loves the challenge of cricket and the relationships that come from it.

He is a fast bowler, but said he can hold his own with the bat.

“There were no trainings to get picked for the squad, selection was based on the previous performances from National carnivals in Under 17ss and the Under 19s carnival in Hamilton last year in replacement of the National carnivals that were cancelled due to COVID,” Keogh said.

“I feel very fortunate that I’ve been selected, and it’s a great feeling that I’m being identified.”

Keogh said like every cricketer does, he hopes he can play cricket at the highest level possible, but on a more local basis he hopes for a full season on the park.

“And hopefully some good individual and team performances,” he added.

A final squad of 15 will be selected for the World Cup after the matches in Adelaide next week.

For the World Cup, Australia has been drawn in Group D and will officially open the tournament when they take on the West Indies on January 14 at the Guyana National Stadium.

Australia will then play Sri Lanka and Scotland to round out their group matches.

Sixteen countries will take part in the tournament that will be shared across four Caribbean nations for the first time ever, with the 48-match schedule to be played over 23 days of competition.

“We’re pleased the ICC have confirmed the U19 Men’s World Cup for early next year and look forward to Australia taking part in the tournament,” Manou said.

“The past 18 months have been challenging on many fronts, but the collaboration between Cricket Australia and the State and Territory Associations has ensured our players have had the support to continue their development on and off the field.”

By ZOEY ANDREWS